Sunday, February 17, 2013

Know the Sign!

Since most of my thoughts are about parenting, I thought I would share my best piece of advice for new parents – teach your child Sign Language! It is very simple and you can incorporate it into your daily activities. I started with Chase when he was about 6 months old, it was the best decision! As time went on, we realized that he had a speech delay, knowing the basic signs helped him communicate. Now as he is progressing with his speech, signing is a tool used along with speaking.

My tips:

  • Never too early to start
  • Sign in conjunction with speaking, simultaneously
  • Use it for everything, consistently
  • Use various forms of signing education; our favorite is Signing Time (Library or Amazon)

http://www.signingtime.com/index.php/?gclid=CMur3-mUvrUCFcZFMgodgRUAUQ

  • Stumped? Attend Signing classes; here is one in Overland Park, Kansas. Of course, being the frugal lady I am – I can't justify the cost!

http://www.lovelanguageforbabies.com/

  • If your child is receiving any kind of therapy - make sure your therapist is incorporating the signs that you are using at home!
  • Acknowledge your child's attempt to sign, just like they are speaking to you. It doesn't have to look like the video, we respond to his signs regardless of how perfect they are!

I taught Chase signs that were appropriate "toddler language". I did not teach him signs for complicated things, we simply use signs for frequently used words: more, drink, play, music, bath, cat, dog, nite-nite, drink, eat, grandma, all-done, brush teeth, etc…

We also have found that using signs for other tasks has helped his speech. For example, the itsy-bitsy spider song uses hand movements. Chase will hum the song if I show him the hand movements, without singing. We often point to our wrist (time) to go wave (bye-bye). This helps them attach a gesture to a word.

Don't get frustrated, the biggest reward is when your child signs (multiple signs together) without prompting. We use about 15-20 signs frequently, at this point I have not introduced new ones, as his speech is picking up.

Until your child becomes a fluent speaker, signing can connect you to your little bean and understand what they want. Today, I was swinging Chase around in circles, singing and playing. As soon as I stopped, he would sign "more play" and say "mo pa". I know I made the right decision in giving him empowerment to communicate!

Here are a couple facebook pages with resources:

http://www.facebook.com/theoriginalbabysigns

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Baby-Signs-By-Erin/118773644814836


-Stacey


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment