Saturday, May 25, 2013

Lotions and Potions

Anyone that knows me, knows that I love to pamper myself. I even have more appreciation for my lotions and potions since there was a period a couple of years ago - when taking a shower was a luxury. I like to keep it simple and of course - SAVE $$$! So, I am always on the lookout for a new find.


Typically, I make out really well at Beauty Brands - I am on their mailing list - I get a "Free item with purchase" every other month (typically, a pretty good item - shampoo/hairspray/etc). I take my coupon and go straight to the Clearence isle (tucked away in the back of the store). They have a 35% off and a 65% off - I only go to the 65% :)  And, of course - I look for the most volume (of product)  for the least amount of $$ - who cares if it has been discontinued?? I always score big AND  get my free item! In addition, they have a program  - each time you spend $100 you get 10% off your next purchase - they keep track of your purchases - its great.
http://www.beautybrands.com/jump.do?itemID=5&itemType=LANDING&page=TAKE_10_REWARDS

This being said, and totally TMI...my hair/skin products - regardless of brand are starting to bother me. Not only did I find hairs in strange places and a few extra wrinkles around my eyes..now I have weird reactions to perfumes and dyes - itchy and breakouts. EWWWW! This must happen when you turn 36! No one told me :) So, in my quest to make our food a bit "preservative free" (see earlier blog) - I decided to get some ideas on do-it-yourself hair care products.


And, what did I find - but ingredients in my own pantry. My favorite item of all "Braggs" Apple Cider Vinegar. There are countless health benefits - I often drink it (Must mix with water)..it is awesome (for you - horrible taste!).

http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html

Other must haves - Baking Soda, Olive Oil and Sea Salt = beauty for pennies!

My skin and hair feels and looks great. My hair is shiny and has no build up! My skin feels like Glass, smooth, clear and moisturized!

Currently, I am using these DIY hair products - every OTHER day.
I bought a ketchup/mustard bottle from the Dollar Store as my applicater- works perfect - and your guest will think you eat hot dogs in the bathtub! Let them wonder..lol!


HAIR
Bottle #1 - Add baking Soda approx 2 Tablespoons and fill the rest with water. Shake until well mixed. Apply to hair and scalp, rinse, repeat. There will not lather. Don't fret!  This will last you a LONG time! (Shake prior to each use - Baking Soda will settle at the bottom)
Pennies..hear me - Pennies! And, no bad chemicals! Cha-Ching!

http://grist.org/living/glam-locks-the-not-so-secret-secret-to-naturally-gorgeous-hair/

Bottle #2 - Add Apple Cider Vinegar (the good stuff - Bragg's Brand) - 2 Tablespoons and fill the rest with water. Shake until mixed. Apply to hair - let sit for a bit, rinse. This will not be your typical "cream rinse", BUT your hair will be manageable and shiny!
***Do not get in your eyes AND do not use on children!!! Burning is an understatement!



FACE
I love exfoliation and have used "St Ives" since High School. Many Dermatologist will disagree - but, drinking tons of water and great exfoliation makes my face look great! I use this potion about 2 times a week.
This can be used for your entire body - just be careful in the shower - Oil + water= a slippery shower!
I always apply to my hands at the same time as my face - this has worked wonders for my dry hands and cuticles!

Take 2 Tablespoons of Sea Salt and 1 Tablespoon (just enough to wet the salt) of Olive Oil, stir with fingers and apply to entire face (except eyes)..scrub scrub scrub...especially around hair line an nose...I also like going over my lips and chin! I do a really deep scrub for 3-5 minutes, then let it sit - while I do my hands.

FYI - My skin slightly broke out the after the first scrub, I'm convinced it was impurities coming to the surface.

Men - I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of these suggestions! Nothing is sexier  that a man with great hair and skin!


http://www.ehow.com/how_4524261_make-olive-oil-scrub.html

http://www.lovelyish.com/2011/05/15/salt-and-olive-oil-face-scrub/


Try it - trust me - you will be glowing..not to mention - saving that $$$$
-stacey



No comments:

Post a Comment