Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Botox - take 2!


I feel compelled to write a follow up to my previous post. First, I think pedicures and Botox are great. Actually, I think that plastic surgery or any self-enhancing treatment is awesome if it makes you feel fabulous! My original blog was meant to point out the pressure that mothers today feel. Not asking for any sympathy, but I am doing the work of 2 over here! So, a little extra credit is due for a mother doing it alone.

A lot of pressure is put on a woman to “have it all together”.  The media, most recently, super ridiculous “reality shows” give a false impression on what mother hood should look like. My ex, played football – um, I’m not driving a Hummer nor can I afford hair extensions.  I never looked like any of the Kardashians when I was pregnant…I favored Mrs. Boo Boo (Honeys mother).(The proof is below) I didn’t pop out a baby in a bathtub in one push nor did I wear my skinny jeans home from the hospital. My labor with Chase was hell, if I could find a stronger word, I would! I have never seen a size 3…well, maybe in 4th grade. If I find a good bra and squeeze into Old Navy, size 12, I have considered my body – "back to normal"! 

Everyone does it differently – some will look like Barbie, but have a horrible marriage. Some will "Scrapbook" for 10 hours a week and have a house that looks like a tornado hit it! Some will have a great career, sport Ann Taylor every day and have to put their child in daycare.  Let me stress, none of it is wrong. But, I just found what worked for me. Most importantly, what made me happy.  I have many friends, and those who I don’t know, that may read this. I don’t doubt, judge or challenge your parenting. I’m just saying we are all in the same boat. We all look for the balance. Most of us are mid-life and the mirror is starting to remind us! Actually,  I heard recently (not sure how true this is) – But Mrs. Boo Boo and Kim Kardashian are the same age. Now, if you are familiar with these two ladies, I have a feeling you just read this sentence twice. If you don’t, google it..you will be enlightened. This comparison stuck in my mind, first as a physical challenge, second as a personal development one. We are all given the same 24hours in a day – we choose how to spend it.

No matter where you are in your journey in parenthood, singleness or other. Find what makes you tick. For me, it is being at home with my kids. It is staying in my PJ’s until noon on Saturdays. Tonight, it was a picnic and movie on the living room floor. My boys appreciate special events, because we aren’t on the go all the time! I value friendships of like-thinkers, and have left negativity in the past. Move forward in 2013, spend more time on what matters, less on what does not.
Today, writing this mattered for me…and there you have it!

~Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment