Friday, January 11, 2013

$15

Over the Holidays, I typically take Trent to the Dollar Store or my mom will help him pick out a gift for me. This year, things were a bit hectic, he decided to just give me cash. It was appreciated, because he took it of his own stash. I received $15. I don't have much "spending cash", all of my income is already spoken for - so extras for mom are few.

As most know, I love, LOVE thrift shopping. I went to my first thrift store in middle school...became obsessed by age 30. It has progressively got worse. Its not as tedious as one would think. Actually, it is my preferred way to shop - for 90% of what enters my home. If I have a day without the kids - you will find me in a thrift store with a triple shot mocha, enjoying every minute of it!

My philosophy..YOU can buy it for full price, I will wait until you donate it and pay $2! Over the last year, I have bought less than 5 items (for myself) at a Department Store - its rare, and its usually underwear!

It's important to note, I don't hoard or "over buy", I often donate a sack before I walk in the door (another way to get a coupon). Maybe on another post, I will give my tips for living clutter free!

So, I had my $15 in hand. This is like $200 at the mall! I spent under $10, I still have some cash left to spend at "FiveBucks" (Starbucks!).

My Top 3 Tips!
1. Shop in "less than" preferred neighborhoods, prices are based on the hood where the store is located. I rarely (unless I have a coupon) shop in Lee's Summit or Overland Park.
2. Check the colored tags that are on sale, AND go on sale day (For example, Sundays =5 items/ $1).
3. Shop for only what you NEED! I never shop the entire store - only the departments that I need.

I got 3 pairs of Shoes:
2 adorable - BRAND NEW Flats and 1 pair brown boots, look like they were worn once!
Purple Suede Flats - $4.98 with 50% off
Brown Boots - $8.98 with 50% off
Grey Mary Jane's - $1.98
 
 


I also got a reversible custom made table runner from a Trendy Boutique (still had the tag on it), located in Overland Park (often speciality stores donate end-of-season items)
$2.98 with 50% off



I hope that you are encouraged to spend less, save more and take a stroll around your local thrift store!

No comments:

Post a Comment