Monday, January 21, 2013

Your Trash! My Treasure!

Its been stated before, that I am obsessed with treasure shopping. On a deeper level, being a student, tight income - thrift shopping has allowed me to provide nice things for my boys, add decor to my house and I enjoy it, so it provides peace and solace. I thought I would share a few more of my recent finds...and maybe a little arm twisting/convincing to get some of my pals to start browsing!

I guess it is like anything, a unknown world to some. Just like skydiving, knitting, gambling or Geocaching - its a hobby - and I would like to recruit more followers! :)

Misconceptions:
1. The clothes are dirty, have bugs or smell.
**Most stores launder their items before selling. Personally, I have never purchased or encountered an item with a smell, or found a bug! I wash all items prior to putting in my closet. But, I do this with any outside purchase - new or old.

2. You must spend hours, "digging" through bins or shuffling through racks.
** Farthest from the truth! Actually, most stores are very large and organized by size. Just like a Department Store, I only shop in the sections that apply to my family. I move quickly and remove hangers before checking out - speeds up the check out process! Also, I am proud to be the annoying customer, who watches every transaction  - confirming I am getting all discounts applicable.

3. You don't really save any money!
**I save a ton! Actually, I love name brands! I am most drawn to items with the tags still on them (returns) AND  high quality brands! Sometimes, I will buy a less expensive brand, if the condition is great and the price is right (usually 5/$1 days!).

4. Items are outdated!
**If you think this, you are sure missing out! Many stores donate returns, some donate overstock (toiletries, small imperfections), some stores go out of business and donate what is left. Nebraska Furniture Mart donates returned items or slightly damaged furniture!
  Another example, I recently purchased a Black pair of Danskos, brand new. Probably returned, perfect condition. $3.99.    $140.00 NEW - score!

Here is the Proof! A couple of my most recent finds:
Sak purse black, pink/lime green lining - Brand New! - $1.99



 Vera Bradley Large make up bag with eyeglass case, pink print - Brand New! - $2.99




Last week, I was browsing Trent's section and found this adorable black jacket with silver hardware! It caught my attention, because it was my size, super cute and still had the original tag noting the brand/website. The original retail price was removed, but the price was right for me
($4.99 1/2 off = $2.50!) Will be great with black leggings and boots!



Fast forward to today, I finally had a minute to do the best part of thrifting - finding the original RETAIL price. Often, I will do this from my cell phone right in the store. But today, I took the time to look up the Lynn Ritchie website and find my new jacket! I had to sit down - this one was great! Purchased from the website, this jacket is $188!! Would probably be more $$$ in a local boutique! Score!


My Best Tip!
Think outside of the box! Think of different purposes for items or ways to modify. For example, I found a pair of pants for me, .25c, but one hem was out - the pants were in perfect condition - easy repair.

I love feather pillows, and they are expensive! If I find a great throw pillow but don't like the pattern,  I simply remove the pillow and throw away the cover. 

I found a fabric that I liked, it was divided into several scraps. I took it to a seamstress with my above mentioned feather pillow and he made fabulous pillow covers with zippers and cording!




I was searching for a duvet cover, couldn't find one I liked. Found new curtains - .99c each. Had my seamstress turn them into a duvet cover, added black velvet for trim and cording and a plain sheet for the backing - ta da! Love it!






Look at this great lamp! It was $2, old brass - nothing fancy. Primed it, flat black spray paint, a shade I already had. New lamp..perfect!





Here is to rePurposing finds, Going in with a plan and most importantly, living less expensively!

Cheers!
-stacey






No comments:

Post a Comment