Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Windows Are Open!


There has been a big emphasis recently on “paying it forward”. I love the underlying message and continually try to acknowledge others by doing good deeds.  As I agonize over parenting an offspring through the teen years…sigh…I was venting (begging for suggestions) to a friend “ALL I DO IS COMPLAIN”..I feel like I am constantly giving directional cues to my kids..”Do this, Do that”.  And, when I get a long-winded story about a friend crisis (at middle school)..I am known to say “speed it up!..you are dragging this out”. 

My dear friend made a good point, make your connections (verbally)…90% positive and 10% “other”. This struck a nerve, I had it all backwards. I thought my constant bitching was constructive (not!). He reminded me these are precious years and we WANT our kids to talk to us – we don’t need to complain about everything – pick YOUR battles. Wow. Simple. Yet, it spoke to me at the right time. The light bulb went on!

I have made a conscious effort to turn this around. At any given moment I might close the open kitchen window to make sure my neighbor doesn’t hear me rage about the melted ice cream found under the bed..UGH! Full Disclosure, I am not perfect

First, I took principals that I put place in my own life and incorporated them into parenting and social interactions. Several years ago, during a transformation in my own life, I was reading the benefits of Positive Thinking, Vision Boards, Law of Attraction, etc. All about positive energy – I am a big believer.  If you don’t know what this is all about..you should!

You can find more here:


First, I had each family member create a daily mantra, affirmation…Such as “God is first, I am a patient mother, knowledgeable student and devoted friend. I will take on the world today, and make myself a priority”

It may sound cheesy, but sometimes you need the internal push (self-compliment) and reassurance that you can make it another day!

Then, I went back to my positive thinking roots and realized that it all goes back to one thing – Words, the simple, the spoken.  And, I used a sprinkle of The Love and Logic parenting concept, using “empathy” first with your children (more on this later).  In your everyday conversations add empathy (validation) and compliments and watch your world turn around. The best thing, it’s free – yep, no cost for your kind words.

So, instead of getting caught up in the physical or monetary rewards to a stranger or even the ones you love, consider starting with the genuine, creative gift that we all possess. The Power to make someone feel on top of this world!

Here are a couple of examples from my life:

Trent comes home upset, ANOTHER middle school drama. After about 15 minutes of listening patiently, the bottom line was..”John was holding Sally’s hand on the way to the bus…and, I like Sally”. Gulp! My initial reaction would be…”toughen up, don’t worry about it – dude, you’re in middle school – you shouldn’t even worry about girls”. But, I slammed on the brakes. It obviously was huge to him. Instead, I replied. ..(Empathy) “I bet that really hurt your feelings, that has happened to me before too – I know how it feels.” “You are smart, funny and great looking there will be another young lady who comes along”. It is simple and small, but we connected and it was part of the 90% of positive conversation, not the 10% of negative.

I love the often repeated Starbucks story of purchasing a drink for the person behind you. I think it’s great, kind of the mysterious generosity – like Larry Stewart  who never reviled his identity but would hand strangers 100 dollar bills. How awesome.

I like Wendy’s coffee..and make a habit of getting a cup  before class. Every morning there is an older lady – probably mid 70’s who takes my order and hands me my coffee. She is wrinkled, worn, making minimum wage, and still had a bright and welcoming smile. One morning, before speeding off..I stopped; I looked her in the eye and told her how much I look forward to seeing her warm smile every morning. It was obvious; I was the first person who said this all day. I found the reward just as great, as if I had purchased a 5 dollar coffee for the car behind me.

One of the most profound use and misuse of words that I remember is the day, I got engaged. I met my husband (now ex) when I was 18, head over heels in love. Three years later, we picked out the perfect ring and stuck it in layaway. I knew that one day, we would pay it off and he would propose. However, he surprised me and got it out early. It was Valentine’s Day, 1998 – perfect. Of course, like any newly engaged girl– I bounced relative to relative, friend to friend – gleaming, holding up my sparkling left hand! I will never forget the words, “is it real?”, “why are you doing this?”…the joy was not mutual. The power of these words still sting today- It reminds me of the old saying, “I may forget what you said, but I will never forget how you made me feel.”

It was a painful lesson in the power of words. I vowed to forever support any arrangement of love, always. You may be short, tall, African American, fat, skinny, Chinese, poor or rich, I will not judge you. If you are man or woman, and you have found love or companionship – I will fill you up with words of joy and encouragement.

This has spilled over into all avenues of support. When I see accomplishment, such a new relationship, job promotion or weight loss – I am truly happy. I will pronounce my words of joy and support. I will not mumble envy or jealousy.
We all strive to be better and we have all made mistakes, so turn your words in a new direction. I hope that this message on the power of words touches your world and that your 90% is full of greatness! I leave you with this (compliment)…thanks for reading my little ol blog! Oh, and by the way, your hair looks great today! (wink!)

Xo
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment